Sunday, January 19, 2014

READ: Read. Everything.



 P.O. Box 3025, Oswego, NY 13126
(315) 236-6530
 
 
Twitter: @McEwenAuction
 
READ

Read.          Everything.

 
We live in an abbreviated world and because of that we are lacking.  Lacking in our want to read anything that's more than a few words long.  Some people won't go beyond my title and first line of this post.  We can say the technology, especially the texting and social media like Facebook® and Twitter®, have caused a social evolution where people are almost required to  simplify and be hyper-creative in turning just a few words into a larger meaning.  The goal is acknowledgement, we want others to "Like" our post or Retweet our message. The more simplified our post or message the more likely others will be to acknowledge it.  And perhaps it is this need to substantially abbreviate our words that has programmed our mindset to want our informational intake to be quick and overall fast to comprehend.

I woke up this morning with a strong desire to write something in regards to this, because I see a distinctive problem which I've experienced firsthand.  I work in the auction industry but see how this is occurring everywhere, in all facets of life.  People do not read, they disregard the "small print", and many times they even disregard the "large print", heck any print at all even.  It's like a subconscious need for things to just come to us instantaneously has been built into our psyche.  As if looking at a picture or a short sentence should somehow fill us with an exorbitant amount of information through little effort on our part.

Here is a direct example of my experiences so that you can get a true sense of what I am talking about.  And, as simple as the following scenarios are there is a larger, underlying issue that prevails within our social spheres.  I have a Facebook® page for my auction company and on it I will post updates on current auctions and many times accompany those posts with multiple pictures.  Problem one, people will ask "how much?" on an items picture.  Well, maybe I'm old school or just have a strong desire to research things and if it was me I would look at the name of the person / business who posted the picture then go to their home page to see if there are more details in regards to the picture they posted.  Seeing that I am an auction company though, I ask myself why would people ask me a price on an item?  I am an auction company, I don't sell items outright.  So, after someone posts "how much?" I graciously will reply that the item is only available via an auction then I will include a direct link where they can get more information.  And I will do this knowing that with just a click to the Home page they could have found that information.  Problem two, on that same picture where I will have posted a link along with the message of needing to buy the item through auction, I will then get more people asking the same original question, "how much?" or better yet "still available?"  Did you not read my response about buying at auction?  Did you not see the bright blue link that follows that response?  And this is where I am left in awe.  The answer to their question was right there, all they had to do was READ.
 
There is a severe disconnect happening on the social media frontlines and it cannot be blamed on the social medias' or technology.  The responsibility lies within ourselves and our own accountability.  We, and I say we because I am just as guilty as the next person, want instant gratification.  We want our food quick, our lattes quick, the line we are standing in to be quick, the traffic light to change quicker, the person ahead of us to go 31mph and not 30mph, we want the words in front of our face to tell their story in three seconds or less.  Because of this we tend to skim over things - we miss thingsThis is the state of our current social evolution. 
 
The moral of the post: Read. Read Everything.  Be accountable for the fine print. 

If you are one of the few to read this post in its entirety then you are likely someone who is socially responsible and accountable for yourself and I'm preaching to the choir.  This post just verified that there is someone else that sees the same problem as you do.   Kind of like an article or book written on almost any subject, it's usually those that would benefit the most from it that are likely not to read it. 

 So where do we go from here, we don't or some technological smarty pants creates an app that will rectify this social issue.  Otherwise, survival of the fittest trumps.  Those who are intuitive, aware, and READ will always have the social advantage.  All in all I enjoy being at an advantage and for now will graciously continue responding to those whose social intuitiveness has fallen wayside to simplicity.  Thanks for reading. 
:-) (smiley face)

   

No comments:

Post a Comment